Friday, September 19, 2008

Since I was 12...

...I wanted to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (I say 12, but I don't really know the exact age, I just always use that number, and I never remember not wanting to go).

The rule is, you can turn in your mission papers 90 days prior to turning 21 (19 for guys). A couple weeks before that point I decided I'd better find out if that's really what I needed to do.

I talked to my parents. They weren't too excited about it, both thought I should wait till I finished school. That's not what I wanted to do, though. My dad told me to find out what I needed to do and he would back me up. I love my dad.

I talked to my Bishop. He was gung-ho from the second I mentioned it. He pretty much decided at that point that I was going on a mission. I told him what my parents thought of the whole situation and he said, "well, I could call your parents and tell them what a great missionary you would be, but I don't think that's necessary. I think you've already decided what you're going to do."

And I had. But I still had to make sure it was what the Lord wanted. I told the bishop I would pray and fast and attend the temple that week to find out. We made a follow-up appointment for the next week so I could tell him the verdict.

No comments: